Question:

From New Ulm, Minnesota, USA:

My seven year old son has had type 1 for one year, and his blood glucose range from the 60s to 400s mg/dl [3.3-22.2mmol/L] with at least four insulin injections per day. I have read numerous positive things regarding the pump, but his "busy" doctors have not explained much and really do not give me a good reason why he should or should not be a candidate for the pump. Could you please give me your input?

Answer:

I'd suggest that you go back to the busy doctors and have a detailed discussion. Perhaps they would agree to a special meeting at the end of a day or a Saturday morning to review how your child is doing, what the pros and cons of pump therapy are, whether or not they have experience with young children using pumps, etc. Pumps are not magically going to make things better, but sometimes they are an excellent way to deliver insulin. However, they require lots of work and parental input as well as input from the child, the diabetes team etc. Multi-dose insulin works very well for many, but the exact reasons for one or another treatment approach needs to be individualized based on blood glucose results, A1c goals, day to day variability, hypo problems, etc.

[Editor's comment: For more information about currently avilable pumps, visit the MiniMed, Disetronic, and Animas websites. You should also take a look at: Is pumping for you?. SS]

Posted to Insulin Pumps