Question:

From Whitesburg, Kentucky, USA:

My three year son had a blood sugar of 180mg/dl [10 mmol/L]. Since then it is still in the 150s mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. He has never been checked before and he doesn't have any symptoms, but diabetes runs both sides of the family. I am very concerned. Could a virus have brought this on?

Answer:

It is rare for a viral infection to cause high blood sugars. I would continuing to him over the next few months to ensure that this he is not developing diabetes. Your pediatrician will be able to give you specific instructions for testing.

[Editor's comment: You should also contact your's son's pediatrician immediately if he displays any symptoms of diabetes or if his blood sugars continue in this range. SS]