Question:

From Pineville, Louisiana, USA:

My six year old granddaughter has been diagnosed as insulin intolerant. She has been on a diet prescribed by the dietitian working with the endocrinologist and is still gaining weight. The doctor says there is no medication for her until age 10. What happens if she continues to gain weight? Is there no treatment or a way to stop the weight gain?

Answer:

None of the medicines we use are approved by the Federal Drug Administration for insulin resistance. I would agree that to use these medications in a child who is less than 10 is a bit of a concern. It's not prohibited, but I, too, would be leery of using them.