Question:

My 12 year old son has borderline diabetes. I'm really not sure what his diet should consist of. Can he have fruit juices, if so how much and the same goes for fruits? I know that sugar should be monitored, but will a little bit a day hurt anything?

Answer:

There is no such thing as borderline diabetes -- one either has normal blood sugar levels or not. You should meet several times with your diabetes educator and a dietitian who is also a diabetes educator. They should be familiar with type 1 and type 2 diabetes treatment options in children and adolescents. Coupled with your physician, preferably a diabetes specialist for children and teens as well, a diagnosis should be made and a treatment plan outlined that makes you and your child comfortable with blood glucose testing goals, results analysis, treatment options, weight goals, follow-up, etc.

[Editor's comment: If your child is not under the care of a pediatric diabetes team, ask for a referral. WWQ]

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Diagnosis and Symptoms