From Oakman, Alabama, USA:

My daughter has two spots of necrobiosis on one leg that are very large and are now forming into one, and another on the other leg that is slowly increasing in size. We have tried steroid injections once with absolutely no change. Are there any new treatments for necrobiosis?

I am not familiar with any new therapies for the problem. The biggest issue is to avoid trauma to the areas. I know this is easier said than done.

[Editor's comment: See: Remes K, Ronnemaa T: Healing of chronic leg ulcers in diabetic necrobiosis lipoidica with local granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor treatment (J Diabetes Complications 1999 Mar-Apr;13(2):115-8). You might wish to show this article to your daughter's dermatologist. If she is not currently seeing one, ask for a referral. SS]