From Peoria, Arizona, USA:

I am 39 years old, 21 weeks pregnant with my second child, and have gestational diabetes. I was put on a diet and told to monitor my blood sugar four times daily. My fasting has never been below 105 mg/dl [5.8 mmol/L] even though I follow this diet. I have lost seven and one-half pounds since getting pregnant which doesn't seem to concern my doctor. She says it looks like I am following this diet. Should I be concerned with the weight loss? My obstetrician told me I must go on insulin and that I have a very good chance of developing diabetes after this baby comes.

My father has diabetes which is diet-controlled, and my maternal grandmother used insulin. I don't understand how two hours after my dinner, my level can be 117 mg/dl [6.5 mmol/L], and even though I not eat anything, my fasting the next day is 123 mg/dl [6.8 mmol/L]. My obstetrician told me to cut back on carbs and up my protein.

You should not be losing weight and may need to increase your calorie count. However, since your sugars are slightly elevated your doctor may have to start you on insulin, particularly if you increase your calorie intake.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes