Question:

I am 38 years old and pregnant with my second child. During my last pregnancy I had a slightly elevated one-hour glucose test result and a normal three-hour glucose tolerance test. My obstetrician told me cut out sweets and juices to avoid another high one-hour result. I did not take his advice, and this time my one-hour result was 179 mg/dl [9.9 mmol/L]. I am so concerned with this result that I have been following a low-carb diet ever since, including no simple sugars or juice and have increased my exercise (which was already good). I will probably take another three-hour GTT next week.

Did having a diet too high in sugars likely affect my screening result? Is it a good idea to modify my diet now, before I even have the three-hour test?

Answer:

In theory, your diet should not significantly affect the results of the one-hour test. The three hour test is the definitive test, and management should be based on those results. Prior to the three hour test you should be on a carbohydrate load [eating high amounts of carbohydrate]. Talk with your doctor about this.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes