Question:

From New York, USA:

I'm about 34 weeks pregnant, and I have gestational diabetes which is controlled by diet. Sometimes, if I have eaten something I shouldn't have, my postprandial readings are high (a total of 12 high readings in the past 42 days). How badly will these high readings affect the fetus? Do you have to be high constantly to do harm to the fetus or will just a occasionally high number be harmful?

Answer:

An occasional high value should not be a problem. However, if you are having persistently elevated postprandial glucose values, then you make need insulin.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes