Question:

From Edmonton, Alberta, Canada:

I work in a pharmacy and we have a patient who has an infant with diabetes. She wants to if there is such a thing as a glucose suppository to treat hypoglycemia when her infant is unable to take glucose orally. Can you help me out?

Answer:

No, but the glucose gels can be given in the cheek and are absorbed. The really best message is to prevent the lows. I know easier said than done, and I don't push infants.

[Editor's comment: You can use a very soft toothbrush to get the gel into a small child by gently using it to rub the gel into the child's gums or inside the cheek. This parent should also have (and know how to use) a Glucagon Emergency Kit. SS]