From San Leandro, California, USA:

I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and I'm taking sustained release niacin because of high cholesterol. Should I be concerned about taking this with the new diabetes diagnosis?

Niacin can cause mild increases in blood glucose levels. It can still be used in people with diabetes, but the dose of medication used to treat the diabetes may need to be adjusted.

Since you have only recently been diagnosed with diabetes, and were taking niacin before this diagnosis, you may want to discuss with your doctor whether another treatment for your high cholesterol can be considered, to see whether your blood glucose levels improve off the niacin.

[Editor's comment: See Elam MB, Hunninghake DB, Davis KB, Garg R, Johnson C, Egan D, Kostis JB, Sheps DS, Brinton EA, Effect of niacin on lipid and lipoprotein levels and glycemic control in patients with diabetes and peripheral arterial disease: the ADMIT study: A randomized trial. Arterial Disease Multiple Intervention Trial. (JAMA, 2000 Sep 13;284(10):1263-70) SS]

Posted to Other Medications