From San Diego, California, USA:

I am trying to get pregnant right now, had gestational diabetes, controlled by diet with my first child, and there were no complications. What precautions I need to be taking to insure that my baby is okay during the first crucial weeks after conception? Should I go back to a diabetic diet? I have concerns about my baby getting the nutrients it needs in the first trimester if I do.

Since you do not have preexisting diabetes, there is nothing extra you need to do. All women trying to get pregnant should take a folate supplement (one prenatal vitamin a day is adequate).

[Editor's comment: One other thought: be sure that someone has checked your blood sugar level recently, and that it was normal. (A substantial number of women with gestational diabetes develop type 2 diabetes at some future time, and it would be worth documenting that this hasn't happened before you commence a pregnancy.) WWQ]

Posted to Gestational Diabetes