Question:

From San Diego, California, USA:

I am trying to get pregnant right now, had gestational diabetes, controlled by diet with my first child, and there were no complications. What precautions I need to be taking to insure that my baby is okay during the first crucial weeks after conception? Should I go back to a diabetic diet? I have concerns about my baby getting the nutrients it needs in the first trimester if I do.

Answer:

Since you do not have preexisting diabetes, there is nothing extra you need to do. All women trying to get pregnant should take a folate supplement (one prenatal vitamin a day is adequate).

[Editor's comment: One other thought: be sure that someone has checked your blood sugar level recently, and that it was normal. (A substantial number of women with gestational diabetes develop typeá2 diabetes at some future time, and it would be worth documenting that this hasn't happened before you commence a pregnancy.) WWQ]

Posted to Gestational Diabetes

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.