Question:

From North Carolina, USA:

I'm planning on a career in law enforcement and I am looking for a continuous sensor so I can reduce the risk of lows without risking long term health by staying high. When will such a device come out? Also, I had heard [a pump company] was working on a continuous sensor but don't see it listed on the site.

Answer:

It appears that the GlucoWatch is the closest to market, as it has been recommended for approval by an FDA advisory committee, but has not been finally approved by the FDA [as of March, 2001]. It is not yet for sale. It is discussed at.the Cygnus website.

I would think it's safe to assume that all the meter companies (and a few others!) are working on continuous monitoring devices, some of which may be practical for long-term consumer use.

WWQ

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Also, the MiniMed Continuous Glucose Monitoring System is available through the doctor's office; the information from the CGMS can be downloaded so the patient can see what their blood glucose levels are doing. I would suggest looking into this concept with your diabetes team.

LSF