From North Carolina, USA:

I'm planning on a career in law enforcement and I am looking for a continuous sensor so I can reduce the risk of lows without risking long term health by staying high. When will such a device come out? Also, I had heard [a pump company] was working on a continuous sensor but don't see it listed on the site.

It appears that the GlucoWatch is the closest to market, as it has been recommended for approval by an FDA advisory committee, but has not been finally approved by the FDA [as of March, 2001]. It is not yet for sale. It is discussed at.the Cygnus website.

I would think it's safe to assume that all the meter companies (and a few others!) are working on continuous monitoring devices, some of which may be practical for long-term consumer use.

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Also, the MiniMed Continuous Glucose Monitoring System is available through the doctor's office; the information from the CGMS can be downloaded so the patient can see what their blood glucose levels are doing. I would suggest looking into this concept with your diabetes team.