Question:

From Broomfield, Colorado, USA:

My 43 year old cousin was just diagnosed with typeá2 diabetes, is on insulin for now, and wants to go to summer camp. He's developmentally disabled (seven year old level), cannot read or write, cannot understand amounts (e.g., $20 equal $200 except in the ability to buy more candy and sodas), and he is color blind. I think he really could benefit from being around other kids and/ or adults with diabetes because he learns by watching and doing (vs. reading). Are there any camps in California for folks with his needs?

Answer:

There are camps for people with Prader-Willi syndrome. These patients are developmentally delayed, overweight, and often have diabetes. They might be willing to accept your cousin.

[Editor's comment: See Prader-Willi Syndrome Association (USA), Camp ReCreation, and Disabled:camps. SS]