From Hot Mail:

My six year old son has had diabetes for five months, and he always complains about the injections. Is there any tip to make the injections more comfortable or less painful?

Try to get him relaxed as possible, and to ensure that he is not tense, as this makes it more likely to inject into the muscle which is more painful. Sometimes using an ice cube over the injection site before the injection for a few seconds can numb the skin temporarily.

[Editor's comment: I hope it helps you to learn that the problem you describe is very common in children of this age. Ask your son's diabetes nurse educator to show him the Inject-Ease®. It's also nicknamed "the rocket" and is a helpful item for many kids, teens, and adults with needle phobia.

I would also recommend using a reward system for not fighting the shot. Try not to focus (although I know it is difficult) on his "bad" behavior as this reinforces it. You might also try play therapy using a large syringe for painting, giving a stuffed animal a shot, etc. If you are uncertain as to how to do this, you might ask your diabetes team for a referral to a play therapist. SS]