Question:

From New Berlin, Wisconsin, USA:

I was diagnosed at age 18 and am now 23, returning to school after just receiving a Communications degree from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I am returning to school for a nursing degree in the hopes of becoming a Certified Diabetes Educator. I am dire need of help with they money aspect of education. Are there is any possible resources out there?

Answer:

Please see David Mendosa's article, Financial Assistance, at the American Diabetes Association website, and an answer to a previous question on this topic.

Since there is a nursing shortage in the US, there are a number of financial assistance programs for nursing. You should discuss this with officials at the school you plan to attend. Also see The National Student Nurses' Association Foundation.

SS

Additional comments from Jeff Hitchcock, The Editor:

The only scholarship I know of is for kids with diabetes who also play tennis: Donnelly Awards ["Presented annually through the Billie Jean King Foundation in cooperation with the American Diabetes Association, to a male or female scholar-athlete ages 14-21 who plays interscholastic, intercollegiate, or intramural tennis and has type 1 diabetes." Application Deadline May 15, 2001] Lilly used to offer a scholarship, but I've heard that they are not doing it this year.

JSH