Question:

From Orlando, Florida, USA:

Do you think it would benefit a child with diabetes to carry the "911 MED VIAL™" with them in case they have a problem?

Answer:

I have heard of this, but I think it was under a different name. We do not use this nor advocate this since the information is available in the home. We have found that many calls that involve a paramedic occur away from home.

We always advocate using a bracelet or necklace since, when paramedics find someone, they can easily check the wrist or necklace for needed information. They will not check through the pockets or a purse (there is not time to do so and they would not ask for a family member to run home and find the 911 MED VIAL™). Also, the usual acute emergency is a low blood glucose where all is needed is to know the person has diabetes and to give glucose.

LSF