Question:

From Hooksett, New Hampshire, USA:

My two year, nine month, son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes eight months ago, and recently was screened for celiac disease, even though he has no symptoms. His antibody test results are as follows: anti-gliadian - 71 (normal less than 20) and IgA - 7 (normal less than 20). We will be seeing a pediatric gastroenterologist, but there is a long wait. Since one of the antibodies is negative, is this still a positive test for celiac disease? I'm confused by the conflicting test results.

Answer:

The antigliadin test is not very specific and is less and less used for the diagnosis of celiac disease. In the absence of symptoms, I would ignore it. However, you do need to ask your son's diabetes doctor exactly what the IgA test represented. I assume that this was either for anti-endomyseal antibodies or anti-transglutaminase antibodies, both of which are IgA's. Depending on the laboratory, the level of anti-transglutaminase antibodies can be used to predict damage to jejunal mucosa, and thus, in large measure, dispense with the need for a biopsy before deciding the need for a gluten free (wheat free) diet. I suspect though that either your diabetes team or the gastroenterologist will want to repeat the anti-transglutaminase test at intervals just as they probably will test for hypothyroidism.