Question:

From California, USA:

My 15 year old daughter and was diagnosed when she was seven, and her blood sugars tend to run high. Recently, I found out that she is missing six permanent teeth. When I asked about braces, the dentist refused to put them on because my daughter has diabetes, and it would be unsafe for her to have them. I am not sure about that. Are there any dentists who specialize in treating people with diabetes?

Answer:

Yes, the sugars should be regulated better, but this should not preclude any treatment. If a pediatric dentist is available, that would be the first choice. If there is a Dental School nearby, the Pediatric Dentistry department would be a good resource.

FV