Question:

From Victoria, British Columbia, Canada:

I am 25 years old, have had diabetes for 10 years, and it is becoming increasingly difficult for me to control my sugar levels. I am reluctant to raise my insulin intake because I do not want to gain any more weight. I have started to exercise regularly and still my sugars are unstable. Could this be because of insulin resistance? If so, what can be done about it?

Answer:

Don't shortchange yourself. If you need more insulin to control blood sugars, it is more efficient to give some extra and stay on top of it than give a lot at once when the sugars get high.

There are a variety of reasons why blood sugars become more difficult to treat over time.

• For people with type 1 diabetes, there may be a history of insulin resistance in the family which is causing you to require more insulin.
  • You may need to check your injection sites to make sure you don't have any lipohypertrophy.
  • If you have an infection or other intercurrent illness it will cause you to have transient insulin resistance.
Finally, I would recommend you review your meal plan with your diabetes dietitian.

[Editor's comment: It is more important to get your blood sugars on control than to worry about your weight right now. You might unconsciously be using these high sugars to control your weight. I would do as Dr. Lane has suggested: meet with your diabetes team, concentrate on insulin adjustments to optimize your control, and meet with your dietitian about weight loss/maintenance. SS]