Question:

From Oregon, USA:

I have just be diagnosed with diabetes and am monitoring my blood sugar. How long after I eat a meal am I supposed to check my blood sugar?

Answer:

This is something you need to ask your diabetes care team, since it varies with the treatment plan. Traditional blood sugar monitoring prior to breakfast, lunch, dinner, bedtime snack, and occasionally at 3:00 am. There are reasons for patients to check postprandial blood glucose levels, but it's not something most newly-diagnosed patients are asked to do.

It sounds to me like you need some good diabetes education. If you are not already seeing a diabetes team which includes nurse and a dietitian who are Certified Diabetes Educators, you need to set up these appointments immediately in order to get off to a good start.

SS

DTQ-ONCEMSSQ20010315