Question:

From South Boston, Virginia, USA:

During a recent chat at this web site, someone mentioned using antiperspirant spray and someone else talked about Dr. Scholl's foot pads for extra padding with their insulin pump infusion sets. My nephew just started pumping and didn't understand either tip. Can you explain how these things might be helpful? Do you have other such tips?

Answer:

I have been pumping for about four and a half years, and I think the antiperspirant is used to reduce the amount of moisture around the infusion site so the adhesive tape does not come loose. The Dr. Scholl's pads might be used to allow extra padding around the infusion site as to prevent accidental bumping and having the site dislodged.

JMS

Additional comments from Dr. Larry Deeb:

Sweat is an enemy of sticking. A little kid doesn't sweat much, but the big ones really do a lot, and the tape lets go. I like Mastisol best along with Detachol to take it off.

[Editor's comment: You and your nephew will find lots of tips at the Insulin Pumpers website. SS]

Posted to Insulin Pumps