From Virginia, USA:

I am 19, have had type 1 diabetes for over two years, and I have also had sporadic neuropathy in both feet since my diabetes began, related to blood sugar control. The day after dropping a 50 pound tote on my left foot it was sore, which was to be expected, but the swelling kept getting worse so the workman's comp doctor x-rayed my foot and diagnosed plantar fasciitis. She put me on an antibiotic and a pain reliever, along with stretches and soaks. Now, a week later, there isn't any improvement, and I'm starting to get worried. I don't want to lose a foot. My neuropathy has also flared up again and I'm having trouble differentiating it from the pain. Any advice would be appreciated. Would my case be better handled by a podiatrist?

Don't panic. Get back to basics. Monitor your blood sugars more frequently and treat them aggressively to promote healing and prevent infection. The next issue is the well-being of your foot. There is no substitute for repetitive observation by the physician. I would suggest having the same physician look at your foot and discuss plans for follow-up as they come up. Ask your physician what you asked me and you will get more information to make the correct decision. Besides, you have only had diabetes for two years. You should be able to heal this providing there is not more than the anticipated damage to your foot from the accident.