Question:

From Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada:

My 12 year old son has had type 1 diabetes for about seven months and spends one night a week with me on weekends. The day after I take him home, he sometimes experiences abnormal highs and/or hows. His mom believes that this is caused by frozen foods that I sometimes prepare for him. Can this be so?

Answer:

There is no reason why frozen foods can do this, provided that these foods are not high in carbohydrates or sugar. Having foods that are frozen do not make them especially high in sugar or carbohydrate. It is the foods themselves that are important. Often labels on foods will tell you how much sugar and carbohydrate there is in them.

JS

[Editor's comment: It more likely that the change in schedules or stress levels is causing this. Even with the best of relationships, switching from one parent to another is stressful for a child, especially in this age group. No blame should be placed anywhere, but you should look to see if you can find a pattern and adjust accordingly if you see one. SS]

Posted to Daily Care and Meal Planning, Food and Diet