Question:

From Burlington, Ontario, Canada:

My four year old daughter has type 1 diabetes. She is in her honeymoon, and, even without any evening insulin, she has a lot of lows during the night. I know that ice cream and peanut butter are good bed time snacks for her, but she is already tired of them. Can you suggest other bedtime snacks to help prevent the lows in the night?

Answer:

I can understand how certain snacks might become boring after a time. Try incorporating some snacks with slower absorbing protein. Reduced calorie yogurt, cereal and milk, 1/2 grilled cheese sandwich, graham crackers and milk, etc are all good combinations of carbs and protein. Check with your diabetes dietitian for some more suggestions.

JMS

[Editor's comment: What about pizza? An English muffin pizza? A milkshake? Be creative! Also, it may be that her daytime insulin is carrying over. Ask your daughter's diabetes team about cutting back a little. SS]