From Polk City, Iowa, USA:

My two day old granddaughter's blood sugars have been running in the 40s [mg/dl, 2.2 mmol/L], so they put her on a IV and said she may not get to go home with the mother today. I live a long way from them, and I am very concerned. There is no diabetes in either family. Please tell me what you can about this.

This is a common problem in newborns and is not likely to represent a serious problem. The treatment may include starting an IV and giving sugar through the IV. Most of the time, this problem clears up after a day or two and is not likely to reoccur. It is not related to diabetes.