From Virginia, USA:

My three year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about seven months ago, and we are still working on getting her as level as possible. Almost once a week we have a really "weird" blood glucose level. She may be 79 mg/dl [4.4 mmol/L] in the morning, eat a good breakfast, be in the 400s [mg/dl, 22.2 mmol/L] two hours later, and then by lunch she is back down to the 100s [mg/dl, 5.6 mmol/L]. I can't seem to find a pattern within time of day, specific food or activity level. Any ideas?

I'm not sure it is possible to avoid the postprandial hyperglycemia with little children. I seem to have trouble too. The only real choice is another "small" shot or really two shots, one at the meal and one a bit later, which is okay to do, but a lot of shots.

[Editor's comment: It seems to me you are doing a great job! Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge & Richard Rubin is great book chock full of ideas for fine tuning management in children. I think you'll find it very helpful. SS]