From Eugene, Oregon, USA:

I understand that the GlucoWatch is available in England. If I were to go to England, could I buy one, bring it home and use it here, buy the supplies and so forth? Are there certain reasons one would need to remain in England? I am considering a vacation in England and this would be something wonderful to bring home. who might I contact in England? Would I need to see a doctor, or could I just go to a druggist and purchase one? I am considering a vacation in England and this would be something wonderful to bring home.

The GlucoWatch in England is not being generally marketed yet. As far as I know, it is only available through certain hospital diabetes centers, so you would have to be a patient at that center. I don't think that you would be allowed to take the instrument and supplies back to the US.

Additional comments from Dr. Donough O'Brien:

In the last few days [March 22, 2001] GlucoWatch has announced their final approval by the FDA. How soon and how widely it will be available remains to be seen.