Question:

From Illinois, USA:

Why should Glucophage be temporarily discontinued if you are going to have X-rays or surgery with dyes involved? What dire things can happen if you do not discontinue use and have those dyes injected? What type of blood test checks for lactic acidosis?

Answer:

Recommendations for stopping Glucophage [metformin] stem from the fact that dyes can cause toxic effects on the kidney. This decreases the removal of the medicine, and it builds up in the body. When the medicine builds up, it can cause the condition called lactic acidosis which can be screened for with routine electrolyte and lactic acid levels. It is a good practice to do this, and I would recommend this to my patients.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes