Question:

From Shelby Township, Michigan, USA:

I have recently become pregnant, and unfortunately, just a couple of months previously, I was diagnosed with diabetes which had not gotten under complete control with diet, exercise and oral hypoglycemic agents. My doctors have now gotten my blood sugar to fairly normal quickly by switching me to insulin. A recent ultrasound showed that we that we are having twins! Assuming that I follow my treatment plan and keep my blood sugars in a safe range, are the chances good that I will deliver healthy babies?

Answer:

It is important that you continue to maintain good glucose control. However, the critical period of development is during the first eight to ten weeks of gestation. So if there are any problems, they have already occurred, and now it is just a matter of detecting if in fact anything has happened. Over the course of the pregnancy, additional ultrasound examinations and blood tests will be done to look for any problems with the babies. Most likely you will do well.

Posted to Family Planning