Question:

From Georgetown, Delaware, USA:

I am a mother of a 16 year old Down's syndrome child who has had type 1 diabetes for four years and does not talk. I am a very tired mom who cannot find any support. I am patiently waiting for the GlucoWatch so that I will have some help in knowing his blood sugar at all times. Any advice and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently approved the GlucoWatch Biographer as a prescription device for adults aged 18 and older with diabetes [March, 2001]. It apparently will not be for sale in the USA for about a year, however.

The following websites may be able to offer you some help and support:

SS

Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

Perhaps your son's doctor would be willing to put him on The Continuous Glucose Monitoring System for a few days to try to gather more blood glucose data.

IDS

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Community Resources