Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from April 2001

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I would like to know why health professionals feel they need to manage diabetes, and seem to be against empowering their patients to manage it. After all, there is only one person who deals with it 24 a day, seven days a week, and that is the patient. Unfortunately, when it is dealt with in the wrong way, only the patient suffers, not the health professional. Why do we not empower the patient? (30 Apr 2001)

2. There is a product called DK50 being sold on-line as a treatment for type 2 diabetes. This supplement is supposed to be able to reduce blood sugar quite dramatically, and I am interested in knowing know more about it. Do you have any information? (30 Apr 2001)

3. Our 18 year old has had type 1 diabetes since age five. She is very brittle, and her hemoglobin A1c averages between 11-13%. However, recently her monitor's memory indicates her four daily test readings are normal. We called the meter manufacturer to find out if she could be "faking" her monitor readings somehow, but were assured that she could not be doing that. (30 Apr 2001)

4. With fetal cell research under so much controversy, why can't stem cells from umbilical cells be used? I am hard pressed to find what objections could be made from using cells which will be discarded. With umbilical stem cells, there is absolutely no harm to a child or mother. (30 Apr 2001)

5. I am 24 years old, and I am going to the doctor in a couple of days because I suspect diabetes. How do people really know they have diabetes without ending up in the emergency room? Are these actually symptoms or am I nuts? If they are symptoms, which type do you think it is (so I can be more or less prepared)? (30 Apr 2001)

6. Suppose that my daughter has a perfect blood sugar at breakfast and I give her 1 unit of Humalog along with her long acting insulin like she is on, but and she isn't given the set amount of carbs at daycare. Can she bottom out and that be the reason she is to high at lunch time? (30 Apr 2001)

7. My wife has had type 1 diabetes for about 20 years, and she is having great difficulty in regulating her levels. She has increased her insulin with variable results -- either no effect or severe bottoming out. Our free clinic has her monitoring and adjusting her own insulin, but it is continuing to get worse. (30 Apr 2001)

8. A family member, who is in her early 50s and has had type 1 for many years, says that she feels better when her sugar levels are high. She gains too much weight and feels terrible when the sugar levels are normal. I also have type 1 and told her to take her insulin and let her body adjust to normal levels. (30 Apr 2001)

9. My two and a half year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 18 months ago, has recently developed a heart murmur, and a doctor said it was probably diabetes related. Is this doctor right? (30 Apr 2001)

10. Five years ago, my 49 year old husband was diagnosed with MODY, and I understand it's very rare. Can you give me any information on it, or direct me to websites that have info on it? (30 Apr 2001)

11. My best friend's 22 month old urine was positive for sugar for sugar and ketones, and her blood sugar was 225mg/dl [12.5 mmol/L]. Her parents have been monitoring at home, and today the blood sugars have been normal and there is no sugar or ketones in the urine. The baby has never had any of the other classic symptoms of diabetes. Has there ever been a case of ketones found in the urine one time and the child does not have diabetes? (30 Apr 2001)

12. A surrogate mom candidate has a sibling with type 1 diabetes. What is the risk that the baby will have diabetes of any kind later in life? Is it reason enough to discount this candidate? (30 Apr 2001)

13. I am 33 years old, have a history of a pre-term labour in week 24 with my earlier pregnancy resulting in the loss of my first baby, and now I have gestational diabetes. Since I had very high numbers on my GTT, will these high numbers result n earlier type 2 diabetes later? My endocrinologist doesn't see a need for insulin. Would you agree? (29 Apr 2001)

14. I am getting married next month and would like to start a family in a couple of years. I am worried about the effects that pregnancy will have on my body and about the chance of my children developing diabetes. Could you give me some information? (29 Apr 2001)

15. My wife has been taking pills until two weeks ago when her doctor switched her to insulin twice a day. I am concerned because her morning blood sugar is still around 210 mg/dl [11.7 mmol/L] before eating and around 400 mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L] at night after eating. Should we wait longer to get the amount of insulin adjusted? Do you think that she needs to see a specialist? (29 Apr 2001)

16. My 10 year old daughter has had several blood sugars over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] on my meter, and has what seem to be symptoms that would point to the need for further testing. Do you agree that these are good reasons to be concerned? Are these readings normal for a young girl of her age group? (29 Apr 2001)

17. I am a 27 year old female who was diagnosed with hypoglycemia about three years ago. I test my glucose level when I am feeling symptoms and most always am in the 70s mg/dl [3.9 mmol/L], but recently I had a reading of 221 mg/dl [12.3 mmol/L] 30 minutes after eating. Should I be concerned? (29 Apr 2001)

18. I have been dating a person with type 1 diabetes since age 13 for a long time, and, recently, he recently had a massive panic attack during an insulin reaction. Can you have such a massive panic attack and not remember anything when it is over? (29 Apr 2001)

19. My eight year old son who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about four months ago with a fasting blood sugar of 198 mg/dl [11mmol/L], some ketones, but negative antibodies. Now, his endocrinologist suspects that he in fact has type 2 because of the slow and steady pattern of decrease in insulin requirements. How do you generally differentiate type 1 in the honeymoon phase from type 2 after some insulin treatment? (29 Apr 2001)

20. Two weeks ago, my 10 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes for two years, ago tested negative for ICA and GAD. Could this mean that his problem is exclusively that of the insulin function? Could his beta cells be okay? Are they already destroyed and the ICA's have disappeared? (29 Apr 2001)

21. My 11 year old son has had type 1 for six years. What is your opinion about an ACE inhibitor being used to reduce the chances of kidney and eye complications? (29 Apr 2001)

22. My 15 year old son has type 1 diabetes, diagnosed at age seven, and our 13 year old son has had many days over the last 18 months when he has not been himself. He has been antibody positive for the last 18 months, his genetic typing matches that of our 15 year old, and we have a strong family history of type 1 diabetes. What are the chances that our 13 year old son will develop diabetes? Are there any other tests? (29 Apr 2001)

23. I have had two episodes recently during which I suddenly became very hot, dizzy, had a fast heart rate, and passed out. Ever since then, I have had to urinate much more than normal, I am thirsty all of the time now, I am tired more than usual, and I am not overweight. What could these signs mean? (29 Apr 2001)

24. My 10 year old son, who has diabetes, has been having severe upper abdominal pain and vomiting for a week. The pediatrician always calls it a stomach virus and has not done any tests nor given him any prescriptions. Could this be something more than a stomach virus? Is it time to move on to an endocrinologist? (29 Apr 2001)

25. Fifteen months ago, my son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He weighs 40 kilograms and his current total daily insulin requirement is 20 units. I was told that an average total insulin need for a person like my son is 1.5 Units per kilogram of body weight per day. That would mean he should be taking 60 Units. Is 1.5 units per Kilogram correct? (29 Apr 2001)

26. My nine year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a year ago, and we have been working toward putting her on the pump (we even switched doctors to do this). Her new doctor says she would do better on Lantus and Humalog because she is athletic. What are your thoughts on this? (29 Apr 2001)

27. My nine year old daughter has nesidioblastosis and has been on diazoxide for 8 1/2 years. She also has chronic fatigue syndrome, dyslexia, and a really low confidence which is not helped by the side effects of diazoxide. Is there an alternative to diazoxide? Would it be better to have her pancreas removed? (29 Apr 2001)

28. Both my parents have been recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. They are both overweight and take little, if any, exercise. What are the chances of my developing the disease? Is there anything that I can do to help prevent the onset of the disease? (26 Apr 2001)

29. My mother developed a foot ulcer, and doctors are recommending amputation of her foot since there is risk of gangrene. She has had high sugar levels despite increased doses of insulin. Is there any new type of insulin that would help? I am hoping that if her sugar levels are reduced, her injury will heal, and I want her to retain her foot. (26 Apr 2001)

30. I have noticed that my 11 year old daughter will become emotional and distraught late in the afternoon. This awful, terrible world she was living in before supper mysteriously disappears after supper. Now we suspect hypoglycemia. (26 Apr 2001)

31. I have a 30 year old female who has type 1 diabetes, is on a pump, and who would like to climb Mt. Whitney this summer. However, she but is concerned about an accurate meter that would be reliable at that altitude. Are you aware of a glucose meter that can be used at a 14,000 foot elevation? (26 Apr 2001)

32. My 15 year old son was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at age 12, and was on oral agents for over a year before his endocrinologist realized that he was type 1 and needed insulin. Is this common? How many months of oral agents (increasing dosages when his sugars didn't drop) should have passed before he was started on insulin? (26 Apr 2001)

33. Recently, my 12 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes for almost four years, had protein in his urine. His doctor said they would check it again at the next visit, but didn't say what that might mean. A1c tests have always been below a 7.6.%. Does protein showing up in his urine have anything to do with his diabetes? (26 Apr 2001)

34. My 10 3/4 year old daughter began insulin pump therapy a year ago, and her blood sugars are falling in the normal ranges. Lately however, they have been all over the place, but there is no pattern. I am thinking that she could be on the verge of menstruating. Is there any way to find out if her period is coming and if this is the culprit? (26 Apr 2001)

35. My four year old son has CHARGE association. I read a few posts where you discussed the "dawn phenomenon". Do you think I am right in asking his doctor to reconsider his assessment? (26 Apr 2001)

36. Our three year old daughter was having symptoms of diabetes and was started on insulin, but her antibodies are negative. A doctor says we should replace the shots with pills and that there may be a chance that her body will come out of this? (26 Apr 2001)

37. I am a mental health professional who is beginning treatment with a 12 year old girl with type I diabetes and ADHD. Can you guide me in the direction of information about the emotional aspects of being a preadolescent with diabetes? (26 Apr 2001)

38. Can a 50 year old professional man with type 1 diabetes qualify for disability or retire on disability because the diabetes makes him tired all the time and unable to work a normal job? (26 Apr 2001)

39. My boyfriend has type 1 diabetes, and has been on dialysis for about a year and a half now. He has developed very painful scabs on the ends of his fingers. He has seen a surgeon, who suggested amputation of the fingertips. (26 Apr 2001)

40. I am 44 years old and have been taking Mixtard with an insulin pen twice a day for the last 15 years. I have recently read an article about sniffing insulin through inhaler. Can I change over to this type of insulin? (25 Apr 2001)

41. My son is 13 and on the pump. He seems to be resistant to the basal and bolus dosages. Is it insulin resistance or growth or what? (25 Apr 2001)

42. My daughter often bruises after a shot. What causes this and what can we do to avoid it? (25 Apr 2001)

43. My son had a blood sugar reading of 41 mg/dl [2.3 mmol/L]. This prompted us to go to a pediatric endocrinologist to check for hypoglycemia. He is constantly thirsty and hungry (although he doesn't seem to eat very much). Could this be related to his blood sugar or should we try another route? (25 Apr 2001)

44. When I have a low blood sugar, I take glucose tablets. One day, I let my friend try one, and he loved it. I worry about whether or not glucose affects people who don't have diabetes. Does glucose harm people who don't have diabetes? (25 Apr 2001)

45. My symptoms include excessive shaking for about 20 minutes after I eat. I have been tested one time, but I was told the test that was given was not the proper way to test because I ate breakfast and was not even scheduled for this test when they did it. (25 Apr 2001)

46. If vomiting occurs within a minute or two after successfully treating a low blood sugar, is there any concern that the ingested sugar hasn't been retained? (25 Apr 2001)

47. Last week, we let our daughter have one serving (15 grams carb) of sugar-free candy for her morning and afternoon snacks, and by late afternoon, she was complaining of stomach pain. Two days later, she still has the stomach discomfort, but appears to be having relatively normal stools. Is this a common side effect to a large dose of the sugar-free candy? (25 Apr 2001)

48. I am 16, have had type 1 diabetes for three years, and I'm content with my average sugar for breakfast, lunch, and bedtime, but it is high at dinner. I'm on three shots daily (significant amounts each time), and, if I increase the lunch time Humalog shot, I tend to run low around 3:00 pm. Any suggestions? (25 Apr 2001)

49. I am 16, have had type 1 diabetes for three years, and every time I go to the doctor, I hear a 20 minute lecture on why I should go on the pump. I've researched this and decided I'm not interested. Is it commonplace for endocrinologists to push the pump since it is becoming more popular? (25 Apr 2001)

50. My 10 year old has excessive thirst and frequent urination, 24 hours per day. He is hungry all the time, but has not lost weight. In fact recently he has gained weight. He craves sugar and has frequent headaches. His urine has been tested for sugar but was fine; should we have him tested further? (25 Apr 2001)

51. My son has type 1 diabetes, and after returning from the beach recently, we were told that people with diabetes should not go barefooted because the athletes' foot fungus is a serious problem. Is this true? (25 Apr 2001)

52. I am a working mother with a five year old son who was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and requires an insulin shot everyday at 5:30 pm. His 24-year old nanny does not feel comfortable giving him the shot, but I am not sure that I can be home every day in time to give it. What alternatives do I have in providing my son with the care he needs without having to quit my job? (25 Apr 2001)

53. Can I get a scholarship for Gale Creek? If so, how? (24 Apr 2001)

54. My nine year old son has cystic fibrosis related diabetes mellitus diagnosed last year, and his elementary school requires that students wash lunch room tables two weeks per year. Is it reasonable for me to request that he not wash the tables because of multiple fingerstick sites on his fingers and the questionable sanitary status of this water? (24 Apr 2001)

55. I am a 27 year old who has type 1 diabetes and painful neuropathy in my forearms. I want to get a tattoo on the lower part of my leg, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. I don't suffer from neuropathy pain in my legs or feet, just the upper part of my body. (24 Apr 2001)

56. I am 44 years old and have had type 2 diabetes for 10 years. Please advise me if chelation therapy can be useful in this condition. (24 Apr 2001)

57. If the average daily requirement of insulin is increasing rapidly in 16 years olds, what is the effect of type 1 diabetes on the growth at this age? (24 Apr 2001)

58. For the past six months, my fasting blood sugars have been hovering around 200+ mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L], and it is 65-110 mg/dl [3.6-6.1 mmol/L] during the night. Neither Ultralente nor NPH has been able to control the fasting blood sugars. So, an increase of my usual dosage is not possible. In my type of situation, high fasting numbers, would Lantus be a good thing to try? (24 Apr 2001)

59. I am a 27 year old female with type 1 diabetes for six years, and for the past six months, my fasting blood sugars have been hovering around 200+ mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. Neither NPH nor Ultralente insulin has been able to control the fasting blood sugars. Can my pregnancy last year contribute to my higher numbers? (24 Apr 2001)

60. I am a 36 year old male who has had diabetes for 17 years. Recently, I had a three week period were my sugars were running over 400 mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L]. Could you tell me how this has possibly hurt my body? (24 Apr 2001)

61. Although I don't have diabetes, I've noticed that my glucose levels will rise to high levels for no apparent reason. I've not had any symptoms of diabetes, but have had impaired glucose tolerance before. Is it possible for reading to go so high when there is nothing wrong? (24 Apr 2001)

62. Last week, my husband (who is in good health), had really bad stomach pains and went to the doctor and his blood sugar was 7.1 mmol/L [128 mg/dl]. We found out yesterday he has type 2 diabetes. We are waiting to go to a diabetes clinic in our town. Could his stomach pains be caused by the diabetes? (24 Apr 2001)

63. I've been told that repeated lows in children under the age of five could cause cognitive brain damage that is not detected until their teenage years. Is there any information on this? Are there long-term implications for adults who suffer repeated lows? (24 Apr 2001)

64. I'm 39 years old, 17 weeks pregnant with my first child, and my recent urine glucose level was was 1+. Should I have a blood test now for gestational diabetes? (24 Apr 2001)

65. My grandfather had pancreas cancer. Is it possible I will get diabetes? (23 Apr 2001)

66. I recently got put on NPH and Regular twice a day to try to prevent type 2 diabetes, and I've noticed that it is painful to inject the insulin into my abdomen and thigh. Could this be a side effect of the insulin? (23 Apr 2001)

67. I recently got put on NPH and Regular twice a day, and have noticed that I get a severe headache about an hour after taking it. Can you become sick if you take more insulin if you are producing insulin on your own? (23 Apr 2001)

68. I recently got put on NPH and Regular insulin twice a day, because my doctor is trying to see if taking insulin will possibly prevent type 2 diabetes in me. Is this possible? (23 Apr 2001)

69. I have diabetic retinopathy, and I have had nine laser eye surgeries over the course of the past year and a half. My vision has still deteriorated to the point that my right eye is technically useless to me, and my left eye seems to be heading in the same direction. I need some financial help. Can you point me in the right direction? (23 Apr 2001)

70. My nine year old son has brown raised patches on his neck under his ears that i have been trying to wash off with no success. I read an article that indicated that these patches could be associated with insulin levels. Can you point me in the right direction? (23 Apr 2001)

71. On rare occasions (every month or two), I'll wake up and soon realize that I am about to pass out. I feel nauseous, and I'm trembling, weak. I can barely get downstairs to get any kind of sugar. My vision is blurry and clouded, and I am so weak that I can barely get up at all. Within five or ten minutes of getting sugar, my vision clears and I feel better. Could I have hypoglycemia? (23 Apr 2001)

72. I heard somewhere that they are experimenting with pancreas transplants for people with diabetes. Is this true? If so, what is the success rate? (23 Apr 2001)

73. At what age do teenagers generally "graduate" from seeing a pediatric endocrinologist? (23 Apr 2001)

74. My six year old daughter has recently had a radical decrease in her daytime NPH needs. Her schedule, meals, etc. are essentially unchanged, but I have had to keep decreasing the am NPH because of mid morning and early afternoon lows. How is this possible? (23 Apr 2001)

75. My five year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes several weeks ago, she has asthma, and her sugars remain highly variable. I am concerned that her asthma and her medications for it are making her diabetes more difficult to control. Do you have experience or information that may help us? (23 Apr 2001)

76. Is it ethical for a doctor to recommend only one brand of insulin pump, when several essentially equivalent brands exist? (23 Apr 2001)

77. My nine year daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about two months ago, and I have heard that giving one ounce a day of a natural product called "noni juice (morinda)" can eventually eliminate need for daily insulin injections. This sounds both unbelievable and dangerous. Is there any information on this product and its use in diabetes control? (19 Apr 2001)

78. I have type 1 diabetes and aortic insufficiency. I have been having some chest pains which are not really bad, but like a sudden pain, here one second, gone the next. Could my heart condition be getting worse? What else could it be? (19 Apr 2001)

79. I'm interested in prevention of type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents. Are there any data regarding how to prevent type 2 diabetes in families at risk? (19 Apr 2001)

80. My seven year old daughter, diagnosed at age three with type 1 diabetes, is on only a morning injection of Actrapid and Monotard, and I still fear night time hypos. She rarely has them, but, when she does, they're really bad. (19 Apr 2001)

81. I've seen several patients doing using a sliding scale of 70/30 insulin. Is it logical? I even saw a 70/30 sliding scale every six hour order today, but given the duration of action of NPH, is this dangerous? (19 Apr 2001)

82. I am a 51 year old female who has had type 2 diabetes for two years, and is treated with an oral hypoglycemic agent. Last month, my doctor told me that my blood pressure was up slightly and gave me a diet to lower my cholesterol. I also take anti-depressants and hormones. My life is full of stress which is caused by factors beyond my control, and I am constantly tired. I'm fed up with it. What should I do next? (19 Apr 2001)

83. My five year old underwent blood sugar testing, and they found his blood sugar doesn't drop too low, but drops very rapidly. His doctor said to put him on a high protein diet, which seems to help, but he still has times when he "crashes". Where can I find tips and information for managing it? (19 Apr 2001)

84. My husband has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. His blood sugar is not going down much It is high in the morning, will drop low, and then goes higher at night and then it but then goes right back up. He is not on medication yet. Should I contact his doctor to let her know what is going on with him? (19 Apr 2001)

85. My two year old nephew has always drank a lot of fluids, complained of thirst and frequent urination, and he gets up usually once, sometimes twice, a night to urinate. His pediatrician examined him, did a urine dipstick which was negative for glucose, and told my sister that, since he was not spilling glucose in his urine, he does not have diabetes. While I hope this is true, shouldn't some lab work be performed? Is the urine dipstick diagnostic enough? (19 Apr 2001)

86. My seven year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last month. What tests do you recommend? Is it necessary to check for microalbuminuria at this stage? (19 Apr 2001)

87. Where can I find information about a video game on diabetes management for kids? It's called "Packy & Marlon" and was developed by Click Health, Inc. I cannot find any information on the Internet. (19 Apr 2001)

88. I am 25, have had diabetes for 15 years, and have recently gotten a job in Rome, Italy. How does the healthcare system for people with diabetes work in Italy? (19 Apr 2001)

89. I am in the medical profession, and, about a month ago, my 14 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. This is now week five, and she does not need insulin. How long can we expect on average for the honeymoon to last? (18 Apr 2001)

90. During a trial run of an insulin pump, we discovered that the best spot for out duaghter seems to be the upper hip/buttocks area, but she has eczema, particularly in the buttocks area, which is generally controlled. Will inserting the infusion set in an area with a rash be likely to cause irritation or increased risk for infection? (18 Apr 2001)

91. Soon after switching to Humalog, my duaghter began breaking out in hives at the injection site soon which then became generalized and continued even after we switched back to Regular. How did this happen? What can we do? What are the implications for the long-term? Can you point me to any relevant literature or research? (18 Apr 2001)

92. My seven year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of three, and I am very interested in putting her on a pump, but her doctor will not do it because these devices weren't originally designed for little kids, and there are no published safety and efficacy data on the use of the pump in pre-adolescents. (18 Apr 2001)

93. I have been recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and I am on a restriction of a 1500 calorie diet daily from breakfast to midnight snack. Can anyone help me find recipes to make this easier and a little less frustrating? (18 Apr 2001)

94. My 15 year old son, who was diagnosed one and a half years ago with type 1 has trouble staying asleep at night. He doesn't wake up with any lows, just wakes up. He isn't overly active before bed so it isn't caused by too much exercise. Does diabetes have anything to do with his sleep pattern? (18 Apr 2001)

95. My 13 year old son still takes Regular insulin at dinner. We have tried to switch to Humalog for the dinner shot, but could not get a good morning number. We have switched back to Regular and are getting good morning readings again. Are we doing the wrong thing? (18 Apr 2001)

96. How can we dilute insulin to get very small doses for babies who require small doses of insulin like one unit? (18 Apr 2001)

97. My 17 year old daughter, diagnosed with diabetes at age four, has recently noticed that her hair has become dry and unhealthy. I don't know wether it can be attributed to diabetes or not, but I was thinking maybe she needs to be on a good multi-vitamin anyway. I was wondering if you could recommend the right one for a diabetic teen. (18 Apr 2001)

98. Our one year old daughter drinks a lot, and we have checked her blood sugar several times, but it was normal. She had a negative antibody tests a year ago. Can it be the first sign of developing diabetes? What we should do? Is there a method to define the very first phase pre-clinical diabetes? (18 Apr 2001)

99. I recently purchased a new meter made by the same manufacturer as the old one. In comparing tests (four tests with both blood and control solution), I have found a consistent difference between the two meters. Would this be considered a significant difference? (17 Apr 2001)

100. Within the last few weeks, my son has had two episodes at school during which he felt hot, dizzy, and his heart raced. I immediately took my son to the clinic where they performed a hemoglobin A1c which was 5.4% (Normal less than 5.7%). Should I be doing anything to assure it stays normal beside cutting out sugar? What are his chances of this being a precursor to diabetes? (17 Apr 2001)

101. After having blood transfusions, can the blood make your glucose lower? (17 Apr 2001)

102. When my 11 year old daughter came home from school, we realized that she had forgotten to take her morning insulin. I was told that if you ever forget to take your insulin you should get it as soon as possible. Was it too late in this case? (17 Apr 2001)

103. I am a 58 year old with type 2 diabetes for 4 months, who was initially put on Glucophage, but I've developed sharp and constant abdominal pain at the skin level (worst at night). My doctors prescribed amitriptyline to ease pain, but did not help. Now, I am in this no win situation and suffering with this unbearable pain. What should I do? (17 Apr 2001)

104. My 10 year old son has noticed when he bends his arm it feels tight or stiff in the area were it has been built up with insulin. What can we do to help with the build up or the stiffness? (17 Apr 2001)

105. I am 10 years old and have had diabetes for three years. My endocrinologist has recommended that I may want to start using an insulin pump. I would like to find out more about the pump, and I have a lot of questions. (17 Apr 2001)

106. You seem to think that carbohydrate counting is easier than the original method of points or exchanges. The fact is that the system that you claim is easier and better is actually the same as has been being practiced for years. (17 Apr 2001)

107. I am taking Mixtard insulin and have been adding more Actrapid to it. How long can I keep the pre-mixed insulin in the same vial? I would like to try NovoRapid with Mixtard. Would this be okay? How long can I keep it in the same vial? (17 Apr 2001)

108. Since patients with type 1 diabetes have an autoimmune disease, do they have the chance of other organs being attacked also? (17 Apr 2001)

109. Like any other parents who have a child with diabetes, I am so worried about my son's future, especially with regard to potential complications. The more information I get, the more I am confused particularly about those statistics. How reliable are those statistics about diabetic complications? Why does such statistical information vary across different sources? (17 Apr 2001)

110. Recently, I read something about diabetic autonomic neuropathy being detectable and treatable (reversible). The article I read says that it is very rarely tested for. At what age do you people with diabetes typically show signs of diabetic autonomic neuropathy? Is it realistic for me to ask to have my five year old be tested? (17 Apr 2001)

111. My sister is suffering from diabetes. She has a high sugar level and her doctor told us that she has to take injections forever. Is it right? Tell me any alternatives and precautions to overcome it (16 Apr 2001)

112. Our four and a half year old son has an abnormal EEG yet he does not present a typical seizure pattern, and he has moments of unexplained rage. We noticed he is asking for food during his movements, so we bought a home blood glucose meter and noticed that prior to the movements his readings are from 80-97 mg/dl [mmol/L]. Do you think it is worth pursuing? (16 Apr 2001)

113. I am on a regimen of Ultralente at dinner time, and Lispro with each meal. My problem is that I starve between meals. My dietitian has given me a meal plan with additions for activity (I'm incredibly physically active), and but I'm finding that my postprandial readings are usually in my target range, but, if I eat a snack, my readings are high before meals. Any suggestions? (16 Apr 2001)

114. My two year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes about a month ago, and prior to this she was on steroids for five days. Her A1c was 7% and her insulin was 4. Now, two weeks later, and for the second time her insulin has been discontinued and levels are great. Is there a possibility this could have been a false positive because of all the medication she was on prior to diagnosis? (16 Apr 2001)

115. Can diabetic ketoacidosis be caused by continuous binge eating? (16 Apr 2001)

116. My four year old drinks and urinates frequently. I did not think much of it until she suddenly started wetting the bed. Her doctor has seen her twice, she has had ketones but no sugar in her urine, and she has had two normal blood sugars. Should we be checking something else? (16 Apr 2001)

117. I am a 28 year old diagnosed with type 1 diabetes for about a month, and I just want to know how to live long with diabetes. (16 Apr 2001)

118. My endocrinologist thinks I may have been allergic to the protamine in both 30/70 and 25/75 insulins so I am now taking Lente and Regular. I am unable to find much about this problem; can you help? (16 Apr 2001)

119. I am a 40 year old female diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about five years ago. Since I was 35 years and thin at the time of diagnosis, I never fit any of the usual categories for people with type 2. My endocrinologist finally did a c-peptide which shows I am making little to none of my own insulin. So I guess I now have type 1 diabetes. (16 Apr 2001)

120. About three months ago, I was diagnosed with celiac disease, and my gastroenterologist says I'm at risk for diabetes. My fasting glucose level has been the high normal range. What do think? (16 Apr 2001)

121. My 11 year old daughter was on growth hormone for almost three years without any adverse effects. Recently, she was given a new time-released product with a substantial increase dose in order to decrease the number of injections from daily to every two weeks. Is there any evidence that an overdose of growth hormone can cause diabetes? (13 Apr 2001)

122. My sister just switched to Humalog before dinner, but a friend who is a diabetes specialist, said not to use Humalog because it has severe long-term side effects. Would you please give us more information about the pros and cons of Humalog? (13 Apr 2001)

123. My sister is 17 weeks pregnant with her second child, and she has sugar in her urine. There is no diabetes in our family, and there was no such problem during her first pregnancy either. Could you comment on the situation and give us some advice? (13 Apr 2001)

124. Seven months ago, our three and a half year daughter was diagnosed with diabetes and is currently on 1 unit of NPH in the morning only. Since her islet cell antibody test was negative, a doctor at the university suggested changing to an oral drug, but her endocrinologist here said she is too young for the oral medications. Any suggestions? (13 Apr 2001)

125. My five year old son has been on a diet for about nine months, but he continues to gain weight (about 35 pounds in a year and a half). His doctor checked his thyroid which was fine, and they blood tests for diabetes and the fat gene. Is it possible for a child to have all the symptoms of diabetes, but instead of weight loss, weight gain? (13 Apr 2001)

126. I recently read that cow's milk may be related to diabetes, and I am concerned because I drink a lot of milk. (I now drink one glass a day, I used to drink up to four or five glasses a day all the way until a few months ago when I was diagnosed.) Should I stop drinking cow's milk and just take calcium supplements instead? (13 Apr 2001)

127. I am Chinese, I was 21 years old when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and there is no history of diabetes in my family. I am in my honeymoon phase, I require no insulin, but I still take 1 unit of NPH a day. How common is type 1b diabetes for my race? Should I have an antibody test? (13 Apr 2001)

128. My friend is not eating lunch or breakfast. She called me one night crying because she was upset because she thought that she might be anorexic. She won't tell her mom, and she's not sure what to do. Do you have any suggestions? (13 Apr 2001)

129. I am a 45 year male with type 1 for 33 years, and I am living in Paris for several months. I'd like to get an A1c test and also a lipid profile. Is there an easy way to get this sort of blood work without a regular doctor (which I don't have in France)? (13 Apr 2001)

130. My three year old was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes six weeks ago, and the doctor told me yesterday that he had negative antibodies. Does this mean his diabetes will be different from other kids with type 1? The doctor said most children with type 1 diabetes are positive for antibodies. (13 Apr 2001)

131. I am a 23 female who does not have diabetes (I get my blood checked every six months), but my dermatologist has diagnosed necrobiosis lipoidica diabeticorum on both my ankles. I have done a bit of research, I agree with his diagnosis, and I am anxious to do any treatment he recommends. Do I need to get a second opinion on the diagnosis and/or treatments of my NLD? (12 Apr 2001)

132. I have had three or four hypoglycemic episodes (while sleeping) in the last six months during which my blood sugar has dropped into the mid to high 20s mg/dl [1.1 mmol/L]. What types of problems can I run into? Other than the obvious precautions, what can I do to avoid this from happening again? (12 Apr 2001)

133. My husband has had type 1 diabetes for 22 years, and has been on the pump for almost two years. Lately, he's been having low sugars (17-32 mg/dl [0.94- 1.8 mmol/L]) at least once a day, and for the past week, he can no longer tell when he is going low. Is this a bad sign? Could the pump this be the reason for the constant low sugars? (12 Apr 2001)

134. At the time of diagnosis, my daughter's blood glucose was 859 mg/dl [47.7 mmol/L]. Her labs indicated she was not in DKA. With a single dose of intravenous Regular insulin, her blood sugar dropped to 59 mg/dl [5.5 mmol/L]. Why did her blood sugar drop so quickly? (12 Apr 2001)

135. I am a 33 year old female just diagnosed with gastroparesis, and I do not have diabetes as far as I know. Reglan has been prescribed as the treatment. My gastroenterologist has ordered an HbA1c test, and said that gastroparesis is most common in people with diabetes. Would a HbA1c be the best test to check for diabetes? (12 Apr 2001)

136. For the past two years, my wife has had no warning signs of hypos, which average one every five to eight days. Worse still, she has had regular seizures (about every four weeks or so), and she refuses to tell her doctor or the hospital. Is there anything I can do to minimize the likelihood of a seizure? (12 Apr 2001)

137. I am 32 years old and have had type 1 diabetes for 17 years, and I am having problems with my gallbladder and intestines. I've visited doctors, done investigations of intestine and gall-bladder, but they found nothing that could cause such problems. Can it be because of autonomic neuropathy? What else can I do for my health? (12 Apr 2001)

138. My husband, age 35, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about three months ago and started insulin therapy immediately. However, he had hypoglycemia several times a day until his doses were cut back to almost nothing. A recent C-peptide which was 640, so now we have been told he has type 2. What does this test mean to us? Should we do other tests? (12 Apr 2001)

139. Can the blood sugar level be controlled in a school-age child who does not want to do work in class and uses sickness to get out of doing work? (12 Apr 2001)

140. My mother has diabetes and takes shots twice a day. When she doesn't take her shots for a couple of days, she gets sick. I live away from my mom, and she doesn't like to tell anyone she's out of medicine. When she's sick, what signs should I look for? (12 Apr 2001)

141. Is the Weight Watchers plan using the point system good for people with diabetes? I have been told pro and con regarding this. (11 Apr 2001)

142. I just read a comment about mixing Humalog and NPH. It said, "you probably can keep the Humalog and NPH together for about 1 hour". Does the insulin not work the same if it's mixed? (11 Apr 2001)

143. I have had type 1 diabetes for 22 years and take NPH insulin. I have gained weight, have lumps at my injection sites, and for over a month, I have had ketones a lot. I used to look healthy, but now I feel like it's a losing battle. If I switch insulins, will it be absorbed better? (11 Apr 2001)

144. Could you please let me know one IU of a medicine is equal to how many milligrams? (11 Apr 2001)

145. I am 33 years old, and, for the last couple of months, I have been having problems with my appetite. If I skip eating for more than four to six hours, I get a really dizzy, shaky, and weak feeling which gets better in about 45 minutes after eating. I am already overweight, and I am seriously gaining weight, which is not helping. Does it sound as if I have diabetes? (11 Apr 2001)

146. My doctor prescribed a pill for depression and anxiety. Recently, I have noticed symptoms like thirst, blurred vision, and pain in my foot. Are these side effects of my medication? I am greatly afraid of diabetes. Should I continue using my medication? Can it lead to diabetes? (11 Apr 2001)

147. I am worried that my nine year old daughter may have diabetes. Both sides of our families have it. My concern is, I am a single mother without medical insurance. How can I go about getting help for my daughter? (11 Apr 2001)

148. My seven year old son was diagnosed a week ago with type 1 diabetes. Our doctor said his blood sugar target should be 150-200 mg/dl [8.3-11.1 mmol/L], but I have several questions. (11 Apr 2001)

149. My daughter has type 1 diabetes. Is there an RDI (recommended daily intake) for diabetes to keep track of the food they eat? Is there a difference in RDI between type 1 and type 2 two diabetes? (11 Apr 2001)

150. My six year old grandson has symptoms of diabetes. His doctor did one test and said he is does not have diabetes, but I disagree. What test does he need ? How old for diagnosis? (11 Apr 2001)

151. My five year old son was diagnosed less than two months ago with type 1diabetes. He has always had a difficult time having a bowel movement, and now it has become worse. Normally the only way for him to have a bowel movement is with the help of an enema. Any suggestions? (10 Apr 2001)

152. My two year old son was diagnosed with type 1diabetes a month ago, and uses very small doses of insulin. Although we try very hard to be exact in our measuring, we would have no idea if we are off. I know that it does not seem to be a lot, but percentage-wise (20%) Is huge. Is there anything out that measures more accurately? (10 Apr 2001)

153. I have a type 1 diabetes for some 20 years and still struggle to keep my glucose level with in the 70-120 mg/dl [3.9-6.7 mmol/L] range. What snacks can I eat between meals that won't significantly influence my blood sugar yet still satisfy my desire to nibble on something? (10 Apr 2001)

154. A year ago, I married a woman who has a 14 year old son diagnosed with diabetes about seven years ago, and I'm trying to be understanding and learn as much about diabetes as I can. He lies about his blood sugars, but my wife says that we cannot discipline him for his deception. My major concern is: if we don't teach him to manage his diabetes on his own, what happens in four short years when he's on his own? (10 Apr 2001)

155. My father has "borderline" diabetes, and he has developed problems with his heart. It's hard for him to find right things to eat; everything is either not good for him because of his diabetes, or not good for him because of his heart trouble He is underweight as well, and this makes it even more difficult to put on any weight. Can you make any dietary suggestions? (10 Apr 2001)

156. My five year old niece weighs 75 pounds, her face seems to be more puffy at some times than others, and she also has a large appetite. Both of her parents are about 20 pounds overweight, but do not have diabetes. What could be the problem, diabetes or something else? (10 Apr 2001)

157. My 16 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes or two years and is being treated by a doctor at a teaching hospital two hours away. I want to consult a local doctor for my 16 year old, but was told I could not have an initial visit without her. Is this the standard procedure? (10 Apr 2001)

158. I'm an have had type 1 diabetes for 21 years, and the problem is I have many episodes of low blood sugar. I can get down to 22 mg/dl [1.2 mmol/L] with no signs that it's that low. Sometimes, this happens while I'm sleeping too. Can I get any brain damage because my sugars get so low without warning? (10 Apr 2001)

159. How dangerous are combination (estrogen/progesterone) birth control pills for a 29 year old with well-controlled type 1 diabetes of 27 years duration? My endocrinologist says not very, but my ob-gyn clinic says extremely. (10 Apr 2001)

160. My seven year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about three months ago, and I am very concerned whether it will affect her physical and emotional development. Will I end up with a unsociable child because of diabetes? (10 Apr 2001)

161. I have diabetes and heard about a doctor in London who made some people recover from diabetes forever. Is this true? (9 Apr 2001)

162. What tests are done to diagnose diabetic peripheral neuropathy? What type of tests are given to evaluate the extent of diabetic neuropathy? Do I have to have testing done on a scheduled basis? (9 Apr 2001)

163. My eight year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about five months ago, appears to have to come out of his honeymoon and now has run an alternating large ketones, then no ketone, then large again pattern for a week. (9 Apr 2001)

164. I would like to know more about the ingredient hydrogenated starch hydrolysate. My 79 year old father has had type 2 diabetes for almost 25 years, has taken to freely eating "sugar-free" candy made primarily of this ingredient (he eats from three to six pieces a day every day). His blood sugar levels haven't shown any discernible change, and his long-term hemoglobin A1c level was most recently at 7.3%. (9 Apr 2001)

165. My 11 month old son is still hanging in there. His latest hemoglobin A1c was 9.4%, and he needs to be at 8% or below. He is never really close to the normal range. Is he too young for Humalog? (9 Apr 2001)

166. Any new developments with stem cell research? I have a 11 month old son with diabetes. (9 Apr 2001)

167. My mother developed type 1 diabetes at age 42. She is now 58 and has what appears to be Alzheimer's disease. Can the diabetes contribute to this disease? Could she have been poisoned somehow? (9 Apr 2001)

168. My 18 year old son feels he is invincible and is experimenting with drugs and alcohol. He got his endocrinologist to prescribe an anti-anxiety medication. I called the doctor and asked him to please stop the refills, but was told that, since my son is 18, I really could not request that. We are going to a counselor, and my son tells him the same thing -- He does not intend to stop. Must I sit back and allow him to self-destruct? (9 Apr 2001)

169. A year ago, my son started having knee pain which was said to be growing pains, but then, a couple weeks before his diagnosis, the pain was more chronic. I've gotten nowhere because nothing else is showing up on tests., and now recently he has started complaining about his feet. His pediatric endocrinologist sees no relation to diabetes. Any thoughts? (9 Apr 2001)

170. My 12 year old daughter is terrified of going hypo during the night and of late is testing before bed, often with the result that she feels she needs to fuel up before going to bed to avoid going hypo. What is a reasonable blood count to expect or aim for at bedtime with fairly reasonable expectation of not going hypo before breakfast? (9 Apr 2001)

171. I don't mind taking shots having done it for 28 years, and I recently tried the insulin pump. After two weeks, I found that it was not for me. I could not get past the fact that I had to keep this thing in me at all times. Now I am in conflict as to whether or not I made the correct decision. Any advice? (6 Apr 2001)

172. I am 30 years old, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes one year ago, and my control has been excellent with very little insulin twice a day. Recently, my non-fasting C-peptide was 3.6. How reliable is the C-peptide test? Based on this information, how much, if any, insulin is my pancreas is producing? (6 Apr 2001)

173. My 15 year old daughter who has had type 1 diabetes for a year, has always had a slight acne problem, but since she was diagnosed, her acne on her back has become severe. What causes this? What can we do to help it? (6 Apr 2001)

174. I am seven weeks pregnant, just started to take insulin, and my blood sugar has been a little out of control. I have been walking twice a day, and I check my blood three times a day. Should I make an appointment with a dietitian? Should I have a little more patience adjusting to insulin? (6 Apr 2001)

175. I heard that taking chromium picolinate supplements help people with diabetes. Is this true? If so how much should be taken daily? (6 Apr 2001)

176. I am pregnant, and I have type 2 diabetes, and I was recently given the option of a C-section at 37 weeks with amniocentesis or 38 weeks with no amniocentesis. Am I crazy to get an amniocentesis at 37 weeks and deliver then? (6 Apr 2001)

177. I would like to get my friend one of those medical bracelets in case he is somewhere and gets really sick so people will know what is wrong with him. He won't get one himself. Can you point me in the right direction? (6 Apr 2001)

178. I am 31, have gestational diabetes and have started taking insulin. They have put me on short-acting insulin first thing in the morning. If the morning numbers are the main concern, shouldn't I be on long acting insulin and be taking it at bedtime? (6 Apr 2001)

179. For the past two months, my six and one-half year daughter has had symptoms of diabetes which are sometimes more predominate for a few weeks at a time then kind of mellow out for a while. There is a family of type 2 diabetes on both sides. Can they come and go like that? (6 Apr 2001)

180. I had gestational diabetes with my first child controlled with diet alone and had no problems. Now, I am 30 weeks pregnant with a second child. If my levels are the same, and I weigh the same, can I be reasonably reassured that the effect of the diabetes on the baby will be the same? Should I be open to starting insulin? (6 Apr 2001)

181. I am a 26 year old female who has type 1 diabetes and has been on an insulin pump for three and a half years. Over the past year, I have gained 25 pounds even though I watch what I eat and exercise regularly. I do what endocrinologist said, but nothing has changed. What should I do? (6 Apr 2001)

182. I forgot that my allergy shots have glycerin in them and I had my blood drawn for a glucose test (for gestational diabetes) about one and a half hours later. The result was 170 mg/dl [9.4 mmol/L]. Can three allergy shots, preserved with glycerin, throw off a glucose test? (6 Apr 2001)

183. I am 17, and I think I might be pregnant! is it possible for me to live through a pregnancy? Do I have to get an abortion? (5 Apr 2001)

184. I am an SLE patient who developed diabetes due to prednisolone, and it has gotten worse. Is there any alternative for SLE treatment? (5 Apr 2001)

185. Ten years ago, when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I was told that I should only eat cold cereal with less than 7 grams of sugar per serving. As an addict to cereal, I would like to know if that is true. Is there still a limit on the amount of sugar per serving? (5 Apr 2001)

186. My fasting blood sugar can increase as much as 40 mg/dl [2.2 mmol/L] from 11:30 pm to 6:00 am or it can decrease by 10 to 15 mg/dl [0.6 to 0.8 mmol/L]. What accounts for these swings? How can blood sugar increase while sleeping? (5 Apr 2001)

187. My 28 year old husband has had diabetes since age four, and he is in very good condition. He has asked his doctor several times if he could be included on some of the new treatments, but his doctor tells him there is nothing new. (5 Apr 2001)

188. My 10 year old granddaughter, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age three, was recently hospitalized with acute renal failure. She was diagnosed with C. difficile. Can the toxins from this affect her kidneys and cause the fluid retention? (5 Apr 2001)

189. My friend babysits a 12 year old girl who has type 1 diabetes. Whenever the girl's blood sugar is high (the other day it was over 500 mg/dl [27.7 mmol/L]), the sitter tells her to run up and down stairs or to eat an orange. (5 Apr 2001)

190. My 12 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about six months ago. He was doing really well with an A1c of 7.6%, but now he seems to be out-of-control (his new A1c was 12.9%), and he showed small quantity of albumin in urine. What is the link? (5 Apr 2001)

191. Have you found any correlation between migraine headaches and diabetes, for example, from spiking blood sugar or constricted veins? (5 Apr 2001)

192. I have gestational diabetes and have read some of the answers to ketones questions on this board, and they said urine ketones are not harmful as long as they are not serum ketones. As a first time mother-to-be, I'm really worried, and have many questions. (5 Apr 2001)

193. My doctor just started me on a new medication called Starlix®, and I have been unable to locate any information on it. Could you direct me to web sites where I can locate information? (5 Apr 2001)

194. My nine year old daughter has had diabetes since age three. Recently a teacher told her off in class, and one-half hour later her sugar level was low. Can this happen? (4 Apr 2001)

195. I have had type 1 diabetes for 20 years. Recently, and on other occasions, my urine is bright, bright clear (odourless) yellow. Kool-aid yellow. Is that an early indication of a kidney problem? Or merely from something I ate? (4 Apr 2001)

196. My experience with two children without diabetes causes me to know that the "routine" service oral surgeons do won't work very well for my 16 year old daughter who was told to plan for wisdom teeth extraction in the next year. She's been on the pump two years and has excellent A1c's. Do you have any suggestions? (4 Apr 2001)

197. Why do blood sugar levels remain in people with newly diagnosed diabetes? What are the pH levels of someone who has DKA? Why would they test the pH levels? (4 Apr 2001)

198. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes 30 weeks into my pregnancy, and I am taking insulin. Between the carbohydrate restricted diet and insulin, my glucose levels are generally okay, yet I'm still spilling small-moderate amounts of ketones all day. Why? (4 Apr 2001)

199. In the past, when my daughter has been sick, her blood sugars have been high requiring more insulin, but for the past month, she has had ear infections and strep throat and her blood sugars keep going low. Nothing else has changed -- diet, carbs or exercise. Can this be caused from being sick? (4 Apr 2001)

200. My eight year old son has type 1 diabetes and some of his school friends have become intrigued by his glucose testing. One of them had a blood sugar in the mid-high 400s mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L] about one-half hour after eating candy. Should we alert his parents? (4 Apr 2001)

201. What are the short and long term effects of glucose levels that are occasionally below 50-80 mg/dl [2.7-4.4 mmol/L] in a 52 year old male who has had type 2 diabetes for a little over two years? (4 Apr 2001)

202. What is Bioslife? What can it do for a person with type 2 diabetes who has high cholesterol and cardiovascular problems? (4 Apr 2001)

203. My four year old daughter was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. As would be expected, we are having difficulty with the injection of insulin. Are there any helpful hints out there that would ease some of her fears? (4 Apr 2001)

204. Why is it that the nutrition advisors for the diabetes community are pushing dangerous sweetener alternatives, i.e. equal etc. instead of educating people about the sweet herb stevia? (3 Apr 2001)

205. My three year old daughter had complications relating to E. coli. She now has symptoms of diabetes and is on 3 units of insulin a day. Is this a typical outcome of E. coli? (3 Apr 2001)

206. My nine year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age three. She has been having difficulty in school, and her teacher believes she is developmentally delayed. Can this be linked with her diabetes? If so, where do I begin to find a cause/solution? (3 Apr 2001)

207. Could hypoglycemia cause weight gain or make it difficult to lose weight? (3 Apr 2001)

208. My 13 year old daughter was diagnosed about a year and a half ago with hypoglycemia. Her father, grandfather, and great grandfather, all had type 1 diabetes, and her father has similar symptoms. Can my daughter's hypoglycemia be related to her father's type 1 diabetes, and if so does she run a higher risk of getting it? I asked her endocrinologist if they were related, and he told me absolutely not, and wants to test for tumors. (3 Apr 2001)

209. My six year old daughter, who has had diabetes for two years, uses Humalog and NPH insulin. The injections are fine in her arms, but when she uses her legs she develops quarter size raised welts. I don't understand the presence of these welts in the legs only. (3 Apr 2001)

210. My two year old daughter was just started on 0.5 unit of Humalog at her breakfast meal. She is pre-clinical without antibodies. Her HbA1c has never been over 5.7%. She has had many highs, but they aren't consistent. I am still uneasy about starting her on the insulin. Do you think she should just get the shot when she is high or get the shot every day? (3 Apr 2001)

211. We have been considering the use of the insulin pump to help control our six year old son's blood sugars, but are alarmed at the fact that DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) occurs twice as much (or twice as often) in pump users. Are there any steps being taken to help correct this situation? (3 Apr 2001)

212. My 13 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes since 18 months of age, has always been short in stature and was just found to be growth hormone deficient. His endocrinologist is reluctant to treat him because he has diabetes. What are your feelings about this? Do you know of others who have undergone treatment for both insulin and growth deficiencies? Please help, his self-esteem is at stake! (3 Apr 2001)

213. If a person with type 1 diabetes sustains a fracture necessitating an open fixation reduction, would she have an increased risk of circulatory problems as she ages? (3 Apr 2001)

214. My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year and one-half ago, and has a C-peptide test done at his three-month visits. His non-fasting values range from 1.6 to 1.8 Can you please tell me the reason for a a C-peptide? What does the test determine? Does this mean he is still in his honeymoon period? (2 Apr 2001)

215. I am a 21 year old female and recently got called back for a repeat blood test as my glucose level was 7.8 mmol/L [140.4 mg/dl] after not eating since the day before. Is it likely to be diabetes? Could it be stress etc that may have given this slightly high reading? (2 Apr 2001)

216. I am 45 years old, diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about five years ago, and my last hemoglobin A1c was 6.8%. Is there any healthy way to do a one to three day water-only fast? (2 Apr 2001)

217. I'm fifteen years old, and I think that I may have hypoglycemia. Whenever I eat any kind of sugar, I get very dizzy and sometimes I black out. Whenever I don't eat sugar, I feel fine, I'm very energetic, I'm very happy, and I feel great. What could this be? (2 Apr 2001)

218. For the past five days, my body has not been responding to insulin. My numbers have been in the 175-200 mg/dl [9.7 -11.1 mmol/L] range, even fasting. I have taken my normal doses of insulin, and I'm not sick or stressed out. (2 Apr 2001)

219. It was determined through an antibody test that my niece is not type 1. Even though her C-peptide levels are low, her hemoglobin A1c is good. Can she be put on pills? She has been having trouble with being low. In fact if she gets below 90 mg/dl [5 mmol/L], she complains of hunger, back aches and is grumpy. What should their next step or tests be? (2 Apr 2001)

220. I am 32 weeks pregnant and recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Since I have a family history of diabetes, is it possible that this condition will persist after delivery? Can my baby inherit this condition? Can he/she develop diabetes as a child? (2 Apr 2001)

221. I'm looking to provide a diabetic wedding cake for a number of guests who have either type 1 or 2 diabetes. Could you give me any ideas regarding recipes? (2 Apr 2001)

222. We were taught that the standard treatment for a low is 4 ounces of juice but in smaller individuals, 15 grams of carbohydrates has a profound effect on the amount of increase in blood glucose. Is there a better way to treat the low and with fewer carbs? (2 Apr 2001)

223. A company in our community awards scholarships to students who have overcome adversities. Do you know of any other sources for college scholarships that might be available to these students or students with diabetes? (2 Apr 2001)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts