From Huddersfield, UK:

I'm looking to provide a diabetic wedding cake for a number of guests who have either type 1 or 2 diabetes. Could you give me any ideas regarding recipes?

The good news is that sweets are not any more destructive of blood sugar control than other sources of carbohydrate. For your wedding guests with both typeá1 and typeá2 diabetes to be able to enjoy the cake, they need to have information about how much carbohydrate a piece contains. Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. If the baker can provide nutritional information for the cake, especially the total grams of carbohydrate in a piece of a given size, you could make a small card with that information and place it on the cake table, cutting the slices to approximate the portion for which you have the nutrition information. This will be helpful information for folks with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
  2. Alternatively, you can plan to cut the cake in about one ounce servings (2" X 2" -- which is the typical expectation with a wedding cake anyway) and estimate for your guests that the amount of carbohydrate is 22 grams or about one and one-half carbohydrate servings/Starch portions.