From Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada:

I am 32 weeks pregnant, recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and I have two questions:

1. Since I have a family history of diabetes, is it possible that this condition will persist after delivery?
  2. Can my baby inherit this condition? Can he/she develop diabetes as a child?

Usually gestational diabetes resolves after delivery. If you had insulin resistance prior to pregnancy, it may persist after the baby is born. It may be worthwhile checking a fasting blood sugar six to eight weeks after delivery. Many factors are involved in developing diabetes. Therefore it is hard to predict the risk of developing diabetes. However, it is unlikely your child will develop diabetes. Unless there are suspicious symptoms, screening her/him is not indicated.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes and Genetics and Heredity