Question:

From the United Kingdom:

I am a 21 year old female and recently got called back for a repeat blood test as my glucose level was 7.8 mmol/L [140.4 mg/dl] after not eating since the day before. Is it likely to be diabetes? Could it be stress that may have given this slightly high reading?

Answer:

I'd suggest you to ask to an endocrinologist for further help since I don't think any previous stress has played any major role in your high blood sugar problem. However, a diagnosis of prediabetes/diabetes cannot be made on the basis on a single blood sugar value. Prior to any further speculation, and before an oral glucose tolerance test, a fasting blood sugar needs to be repeated with a urine examination, and an antibody test, if available, should be performed to confirm or exclude type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes.