From the United Kingdom:

I am a 21 year old female and recently got called back for a repeat blood test as my glucose level was 7.8 mmol/L [140.4 mg/dl] after not eating since the day before. Is it likely to be diabetes? Could it be stress that may have given this slightly high reading?

I'd suggest you to ask to an endocrinologist for further help since I don't think any previous stress has played any major role in your high blood sugar problem. However, a diagnosis of prediabetes/diabetes cannot be made on the basis on a single blood sugar value. Prior to any further speculation, and before an oral glucose tolerance test, a fasting blood sugar needs to be repeated with a urine examination, and an antibody test, if available, should be performed to confirm or exclude type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes.