From Benton, Arkansas, USA:

My 10 year old granddaughter, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age three, was recently hospitalized with acute renal failure. She was diagnosed with C. difficile. Can the toxins from this affect her kidneys and cause the fluid retention?

I doubt if your daughter's renal failure could be due to her diabetes and there are of course many other causes for this. I think the best plan would be to talk to her doctor about what he/she thinks is the most probable cause of the problem.

[Editor's comment: See Clostridium difficile - Pathogen or pest?. SS]