Question:

From Benton, Arkansas, USA:

My 10 year old granddaughter, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age three, was recently hospitalized with acute renal failure. She was diagnosed with C. difficile. Can the toxins from this affect her kidneys and cause the fluid retention?

Answer:

I doubt if your daughter's renal failure could be due to her diabetes and there are of course many other causes for this. I think the best plan would be to talk to her doctor about what he/she thinks is the most probable cause of the problem.

[Editor's comment: See Clostridium difficile - Pathogen or pest?. SS]