From Kuna, Idaho, USA:

My 28 year old husband has had diabetes since age four, and he is in very good condition. He has asked his doctor several times if he could be included on some of the new treatments, but his doctor tells him there is nothing new. Is there a way to try using the pump for cheaper then it is? Is there anything he should be using to help slow down his kidney for failure?

My suggestion to you is to contact the organizations that fund diabetes-related research, such as the American Diabetes Association, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, and the National Institutes of Health. Ask them for a list of projects and the cooperating institutions. You can then see if there is a center you can network with.

I would suggest you network with your physicians in your community regarding diabetes care. This will allow you to know who has a record in diabetes care and the resources they have available. Finally, you need to talk with your physicians about kidney protection therapies.

[Editor's comment: See:

Posted to Research: Other Research and Complications