Question:

From Clinton, Washington, USA:

I had gestational diabetes with my first child controlled with diet alone and had no problems. Now, I am 30 weeks pregnant with a second child. If my levels are the same, and I weigh the same, can I be reasonably reassured that the effect of the diabetes on the baby will be the same? Should I be open to starting insulin?

Answer:

Every pregnancy is different. So it is hard to predict an outcome based on previous experience. If you have persistently elevated fasting blood sugar values, then insulin may be necessary.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes