From Portland, Oregon, USA:

I am 31 and have gestational diabetes. During my first pregnancy, I was able to control it with diet and exercise, but this time I need insulin. My counts in the morning are high (110-115 mg/dl [6.1-6.4 mmol/L]), but two hours after meals, they are usually below 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L]. They have put me on short-acting insulin first thing in the morning and say that if I can get all the numbers a little lower during the day then the morning numbers will drop eventually as well. This does not make sense to me, but I am not an expert! If the morning numbers are the main concern, shouldn't I be on long acting insulin and be taking it at bedtime?

What you are saying does make sense. One shot of short-acting insulin in the morning is not going to help your afternoon or evening blood sugar control. Speak with your doctor further about this.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes and Insulin