Question:

From California, USA:

A 28 year old friend of mine has had type 1 diabetes for about three years. He does not control it at all, sometimes going days without taking his insulin and not eating right. I would like to get him one of those medical bracelets in case he is somewhere and gets really sick (only a matter of time) so people will know what is wrong with him. He won't get one himself. Can you point me in the right direction?

Answer:

Generally, Medical Alert bracelets are easily obtained at pharmacies. However, most of my clients prefer the type available via jewelry stores or catalogs. It is mainly a matter of personal taste. The important thing is that the medical condition is inscribed on the item clearly. Any medical supply outlet or store is another option to consider.

If your friend has a bracelet but won't wear it -- well, that's another problem!

CMB

[Editor's comment: See: Medical Identification Products. SS]