Question:

From Livingston, New Jersey, USA:

I am pregnant, and I have type 2 diabetes. I was told that I would have a C-section at least two weeks early as I had a previous C-section and induction was a little risky that early. I was recently given the option of a C-section at 37 weeks with amniocentesis or at 38 weeks with no amniocentesis. I was a little concerned because although my sugars are kept well within control, the baby's lungs might not be mature. At what point do they usually mature? Am I crazy to get an amniocentesis at 37 weeks and deliver then? I don't want the baby ending up in the NICU!

Answer:

There are some recent data suggesting that women with diabetes in very good control probably do not have an increased risk of delayed lung maturity. However, if you are having an elective delivery at less than 37 weeks without any other significant indication (fetal distress, maternal illness, etc.), then I would suggest having the amniocentesis.

Posted to Family Planning