Question:

From Duarte, California, USA:

I am seven weeks pregnant, just started to take insulin, and my blood sugar has been a little out of control. I have been walking twice a day, and I check my blood three times a day. Should I make an appointment with a dietitian? Should I have a little more patience adjusting to insulin?

Answer:

Since you just started taking insulin, more frequent testing will give you a better assessment of how the insulin is working. I would suggest checking your blood sugar just before and one hour after each meal. This will give your doctor more values upon which to base any adjustments in your insulin dosing. If you have not seen a dietitian, I would recommend that you do so since your calorie requirements during pregnancy will be different then when you are not pregnant.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes