From Easton, Pennsylvania, USA:

I don't mind taking shots having done it for 28 years, and I recently tried the insulin pump. After two weeks, I found that it was not for me. I could not get past the fact that I had to keep this thing in me at all times. Now I am in conflict as to whether or not I made the correct decision. Any advice?

You are not alone in the way you feel about using the insulin pump. Although this piece of equipment has made it easier to deliver insulin, there is the need to continue to care for the infusion site and aggressively check blood sugars. It is my opinion that insulin pump therapy represents the best way we have of delivering insulin for the best control. It is also more work. That being said, there is no definitive information that says that being on a pump is the only way to have good blood sugar control. If you feel this way about the pump, don't force the issue. Clearly, if you have good control with intermittent injections, it is not an absolute requirement. If you are having difficulty with control, and you haven't been able to get good control with a variety of injection patterns, think about some compromises. For instance, think about wearing the pump for only part of the day, maybe overnight. This will allow you to get use to it. Set it aside and come back to it in a few weeks if there are other issues to deal with at present. Consider seeing a mental health professional to help you deal with issues related to pump therapy. I have seen counseling help several people. There is no absolute way to handle this situation. Above all, speak with your physician, get their opinion, and discuss the possible options.

Posted to Insulin Pumps