From Weiser, Idaho, USA:

My mother developed hypoglycemia before her type 1 diabetes was diagnosed at age 42. She is now 58 and has what appears to be Alzheimer's disease. Can the diabetes contribute to this disease?

Please tell me if you have any documented cases of this at such a young age. I have noticed her memory loss for about 10 years. Can you shed some light on this? She no longer talks and no longer knows me or anyone else. All she does is walk continuously. Could all of this be from the diabetes? Could she have been poisoned somehow? If you don't feel this is from the diabetes, do you know what else may have caused these symptoms? Will you please let me know who to contact regarding poisonings?

I am sorry to hear about your mother. I am not aware of a relationship between Alzheimer's disease and diabetes. There is, however, an increased risk of stroke with diabetes. These multiple strokes can lead to cognitive impairment, a condition referred to as multi-infarct dementia.

Either way, the brain's inability to repair itself with these conditions doesn't usually allow for normalization of function. Rather, the goal is the prevention of further deterioration. There are some medications for patients with Alzheimer's disease which may be appropriate. Please see your mother's physician to discuss the diagnosis, and these medications.