From Springvale, Maine, USA:

My eight year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about five months ago, appears to have to come out of his honeymoon and now has run an alternating large ketone then no ketones then large again pattern for a week. It has stumped our diabetes team, and we are looking for reasons and possible solutions.

My best guess is that you son is fluctuating between hypos and hypers. When highs alternate with the lows in this manner, you spill ketones and then go high. Look for the lows.

[Editor's comment: Your son's situation might well be clarified by monitoring sugar levels continuously for several days to try to sort out what's happening in more detail. See The Continuous Glucose Monitoring System, and ask your son's diabetes team about it. SS]