Question:

From the United Kingdom:

My seven year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about three months ago, and I am very concerned whether it will affect her physical development. I also wonder will it affect her emotionally. Will I end up with a unsociable child because of diabetes?

Answer:

Diabetes care is difficult and time-consuming, but if everyone in the family shares in the responsibility of caring for the diabetes, your daughter should do fine. Her physical development should not be affected as long as her blood sugars are in good control. Her emotional development, similarly, should not be affected.

Since you are asking these questions, it leads me to believe that you have not received adequate diabetes teaching. Please contact your daughter's diabetes team to learn more about diabetes and your child. Talk with them about your concerns. I believe that most of your fears will be put to rest.

You may also find a number of books very helpful to you. Among them are:

1. Understanding Insulin Dependent Diabetes by H. Peter Chase, M.D. Published by the Children's Diabetes Foundation at Denver, 1999.
  2. The Ten Keys to Helping Your Child Grow Up With Diabetes by Tim Wysocki, Ph.D.
  3. Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge & Richard Rubin

JWB

Posted to Behavior