Question:

From Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for some 20 years and still struggle to keep my glucose level with in the 70-120 mg/dl [3.9-6.7 mmol/L] range. What snacks can I eat between meals that won't significantly influence my blood sugar yet still satisfy my desire to nibble on something?

Answer:

You certainly keep yourself in tight control! I would think that you might require some form of carbohydrate between meals depending on your insulin regimen. You need to look for foods that have a higher fiber content such as whole wheat crackers and if you are watching your weight, moderate fat content (say 5 grams of fat or less). A low fat protein such as cottage cheese or some of the low fat deli meats might be added as well. Yogurt (sugar-free) could be used as well and depending on what your needs are fresh fruit is a good snack. Since I do not know what your long term health issues are, in general I would recommend a moderate protein intake (meaning watch how much extra protein you eat) as well as fat moderation.

JM