From Brighton, Illinois, USA:

I am worried that my nine year old daughter may have diabetes. Both sides of our families have it. My concern is, I am a single mother without medical insurance. How can I go about getting help for my daughter?

I would talk to your local health and welfare department to see if you qualify for Medicaid. There is also a federal program called CHIPS which provides medical insurance and little or no cost to you for families that may not qualify for Medicaid but have limited resources. Your local Health and Welfare agency should be able to direct you to appropriate resources. If you are concerned that your daughter may have diabetes, please don't wait to have her evaluated.

[Editor's comment: See Simulation of Medicaid and SCHIP Eligibility: Implications of Findings From 10 States.

I would ask your daughter's school nurse and counsellor about resources in your area. Also, most communities have free health clinics where you can have your daughter seen. SS]