Question:

From Toronto, Canada:

What is IU? I know that it is "International Unit" but could you please let me know one IU of a medicine is equal to how many milligrams?

Answer:

Today the amount of most drugs are usually expressed in milligrams (mg). In earlier times, when it was difficult to accurately measure small amounts, drugs were often measured in "International Units" (abbreviated IU), or sometimes the amount of a drug was measured as "units." The number of milligrams per unit varies depending on the drug.

As an example, insulin is usually measured in units, but could be measured in milligrams: there are 28 units per mg of insulin.