Question:

From Canada:

I was 21 years old when I was diagnosed with type1 diabetes, and there is no history of diabetes in my family. I recently read that cow's milk may be related to diabetes, and I am concerned because I drink a lot of milk. (I now drink one glass a day, I used to drink up to four or five glasses a day all the way until a few months ago when I was diagnosed.) Should I stop drinking cow's milk and just take calcium supplements instead?

Answer:

There have been clinical trials conducted to determine whether exposure to cow's milk early in life (first year of life) sensitizes people to increased risk of type 1 diabetes. Although this was of interest, several clinical trials have failed to show a strong association. I would certainly not recommend avoiding milk at this point in your life. It is nutritious and high in protein and calcium.

DTQ-20010406050916A