From Sarasota, Florida, USA:

I am a 40 year old female diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about five years ago. I took oral agents until about four months ago when my hemoglobin A1c was 12.0%, and since I have lost 20 pounds over the past 6 months, I asked to go on Insulin, and my A1c as of last week was 8.0%. Since I was 35 years and thin at the time of diagnosis, I never fit any of the usual categories for people with type 2 diabetes. My endocrinologist finally did a C-peptide which shows I am making little to none of my own insulin. So I guess I now have type 1 diabetes. All other tests are normal.

It sounds like you fell between the cracks, in terms of the characterization of the type of diabetes you have. That is not uncommon. The low C-peptide in response to an elevated sugar is evidence for type 1 diabetes. Individuals who have Late-onset Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood (LADA) may start out looking like type 2 diabetes and then experience an accelerated loss of beta cell function. That may have been what happened to you.